Thursday, August 6, 2009

Writer's Workshop Wednesday.....Fears

I came across a new blog in my cyber-wanderings this morning, Mama's Losin' It. I haven't had a chance to explore it too much but it seems like a great blog and she posts writing prompts on Wednesdays which is great for me since I was having trouble thinking of something to write.

The prompt I chose............"What are you afraid of?"

Well, let's see...I have quite a few fears. Of course there's the one fear shared by every parent, something bad happening to my sweet baby boy. Then there's little things....spiders and all other bugs, snakes, failure, etc.

My biggest fear at the moment though is that my fiance will lose his court case next month and end up going to jail for the next ten years. I just don't know how I'd manage without him. He provides the main income to the household but that's not really what I'm worried about. How would I tell my son that his Daddy's in jail because of lost paperwork.

Here's the basic outline of the story, because of a stupid mistake he made at the age of 17 (he's now 40) David has to register his place of residence and place of employment with the local police department any time it changes and on a yearly basis to confirm everything. About two years ago, we moved and he did as he was supposed to do and filed his paperwork and was told by the officer on duty that everything was fine. Several months later, the police came and arrested him at work saying that they had never gotten the information. This caused him to lose out on a great job offer as he was working through a temp agency at the time and was being offered a chance to work directly for the company but after this happened, of course that offer was recinded. We've been fighting this ever since....so much for a speedy trial, huh? Anyway, an actual trial date is set for September and I'm terrified. After all we've been through with this, I've lost all faith in the judicial system and all I can do is hope and pray with all my heart and soul that the people on the jury will see the truth of the situation and find in his favor.

As soon as this is all over, we plan to move down south to be near David's family and to get away from the people who seem so eager to continue punishing him for something he has already payed for. And hopefully do something to prevent things like this from happening to others in the future.

To check out other responses to the writing prompts of the day, swing by Mama's Losin' It and click on the links in her blog.

3 comments:

  1. YIKES! Sounds like a legitimate fear!! I hope everything works out for you guys and you get a fresh new start!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, your story made me shudder! I hope it all works out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That must be really tough...

    Keep praying, God will take good care of you no matter what!

    ReplyDelete